The products of Traditional Medicine (TM) continue to be the main source of health care for the vast majority of the population. It is for this reason that ECOWAS Member States have adopted several resolutions and declarations aimed at institutionalizing TM in their national health systems. However, weak regulatory and legislative frameworks, inadequate collaboration between practitioners of TM and conventional medicine, as well as inadequate financing continue to impede its integration into national health systems and limits its potential to contribute to the attainment of universal health coverage in the region.
The weak regulatory and legislative regimes impede the integration of TM in national health systems and limits its potential to contribute to the attainment of universal health coverage in the region.
Promote the integration of traditional medicine into national health systems.
Integration of TM in national health systems promoted
- Promotion of collaboration between TMPs and other health professionals
- Strengthening research and development of traditional medicine products
- Promotion of education and training for TMPs and other health professionals
- Facilitate the integration of intellectual property rights on TM into national health policies and legislation
- Facilitate the development and implementation of policies for promoting innovation, research and development of TM;
- Improve access to quality plant-based medicines;
- Ensure integration of TM into the curricula of health training institutions;
- Strengthen collaboration between TMPs and Conventional Medicine Practitioners
- Improving quality assurance systems for TM products
- Development of a system for phytovigilance
- Implementation of intellectual poroperty rights on TM products
- Strengthening innovation, research and development of TM products
- Implementation of a programme on education and training in TM
- Improving local production of medicinal plants with proven efficacy
- Strengthening collaboration between TMPs and Conventional Medicine Practitioners
- Capacities of National Medicines Regulatory Authorities strengthened,
- Harmonized regional strategy for phytovigilance on TM products developed.
- Quality plant-based medicines available
- Policies and programmes on TM integrated into national health systems
- Training programmes on Traditional Medicine developed and integrated into health training curricula
- Collaboration between TMPs and Conventional Medicine Practitioners strengthened